Chennai is one of the largest metropolitan cities in the country. It is also one of the cultural nerve centers of Southern India, connecting several important places that have played an important part in shaping the culture of the region as a whole. There are many heritage sites with several things to do in and around Chennai. If you are traveling to Chennai post October, which is also the best time to travel near Chennai, you can visit several beautiful places of tourist attraction. Here are some of the prominent places you can visit from Chennai.
10 Exciting holiday destinations near Chennai
- Horsley Hills
Pondicherry is known for its French Colony and how beautifully it is still maintained. It is one of the famous weekend getaways from Chennai that you will be able to reach in just a few hours. While Pondicherry has so many attractions, visiting them will be a treat to your eyes. If you are looking for beach resorts near Chennai, Pondicherry will keep you happy in this case as well. There are several beach resorts in the town that you can stay with your family.
- Distance from Chennai: 165 km
- Tourist attractions: Auroville, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, White Town, Promenade Beach, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Temple, Paradise Beach, Arikamedu, Pondicherry Museum
One of the places to stay near Chennai, Mahabalipuram is famous for its history, architecture, and culture. You can book your stay at any of the resorts here and explore the town at your convenience. You will find ancient artifacts, historic temples, and monolithic statues in various places in the town.
- Distance from Chennai: 57 km
- Tourist attractions: Pancha Ratha, Shore Temple, Mahishasurmardini, Varaha, and Krishna Cave Temples
Nagalapuram will offer you the best hill resorts near Chennai. You can reach the place in just a couple of hours and while you are here, you can try various activities like trekking. This place is visited by several adventure enthusiasts from across the country. There are several waterfalls and natural pools here, where you can take a dip. And if you want to double the adventure experience, you can even opt for overnight camping.
- Distance from Chennai: 70 km
- Tourist attractions: Sri Veda Narayana Perumal Temple, Nagalapuram Falls
Nellore is blessed with natural beauty. It is one of the best destinations for wildlife lovers, especially those who are fond of bird watching. From nature parks to sanctuaries, and even trekking through the forests, there are lots of things to do in Nellore. And while you are looking for resorts near Chennai for a family holiday, you will find many of them in Nellore.
- Distance from Chennai: 175 km
- Tourist attractions: Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, Udayagiri Fort, Mypadu Beach, Venkatagiri Fort, Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple
Yelagiri has some of the best resorts near Chennai for couples. It is a small town that is dotted with beautiful sceneries, and there is a lot of scope for adventure activities. From boating to trekking, and paragliding, there are so many things you can indulge in. Another thing famous in Yelagiri is the Summer festival in which you will be able to attend food shows, cultural events, musical performances, etc.
- Distance from Chennai: 229 km
- Tourist attractions: Jalagamparai Waterfalls, Punganoor Lake, Velavan Temple, Swamimalai Hill, Jalagandeeswarar Temple
The history aficionados are going to love this place. The place was ruled by the Danish for around 200 years, and the reminiscence can be still found in almost every corner of the town. Your road trips from Chennai will be a memorable one as you visit Tharangambadi since you can indulge in fishing and visit several religious sites here. This is also a great place for mouthwatering food.
- Distance from Chennai: 284 km
- Tourist attractions: Fort Dansborg, Town Gate, Rehlings House, Masilamani Temple, King Street
7. Horsley Hills
Perched at an altitude of 41000 feet, this is an absolute paradise for nature enthusiasts. The rolling hills and the verdant greenery will keep you amazed throughout. You can go trekking or choose camping here.
- Distance from Chennai: 289 km
- Tourist attractions: Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary, Mallamma Temple, Gangotri Lake, Horsley Hills Zoo, Gali Bandalu
Famous for its saltwater lagoon, Pulicat is a sleepy town where you can go and laze around the weekend at any of its resorts. You can take a tour of the forts, sanctuary, and lake here.
- Distance from Chennai: 54 km
- Tourist attractions: Dutch Fort, Pulicat Lake, Pulicat Sanctuary, Dutch Cemetery
Chandragiri is one of the places in proximity to Chennai. You can spend your weekend here and come back to the city as the week starts. Chandragiri offers so many things that you will not feel bored here at all. It is especially an ideal place for people who have an interest in history.
- Distance from Chennai: 145 km
- Tourist attractions: Chandragiri Lake, Chandragiri Fort, Raja Mahal Palace, and Museum, Rani Mahal
Nature lovers will find themselves at peace in Yercaud. There is a heap of options for fun activities in Yercaud and the hill town is absolutely economical. You can go trekking, try boating, and stay at a budget hotel or resort in the town.
- Distance from Chennai: 366 km
- Tourist attractions: Shevaroy Temple, Yercaud Lake, Shevaroy Hills, Silk Farm
These are some of the best places that you can visit near Chennai and have a road trip rich in culture and natural beauty. The beauty of these places will surely help you form some beautiful memories. For ease of movement, taking a self-drive car rental in Chennai from Revv can prove very useful. To get started you can visit the Revv website or install the Revv app.