Day Trip to The Statue of Unity from Ahmedabad
Amdavad for the Gujaratis and Ahmedabad for the rest of India is certainly one of the most planned cities in the country which anyone would love to visit. Ahmedabad is also the first city in the world that bagged the title of World Heritage City from UNESCO. The city was founded by Sultan Ahmed Shah and you can still find the relics of history in this Ahmedabad.
Although the city has several attractions to offer to its tourists if you want to travel beyond the city limits and take a one-day road trip from Ahmedabad you can visit the Statue of Unity. The distance from Ahmedabad to this place is 198.2 km, which means it will take around 4 hours for you to reach the Statue of Unity. While on the road trip from Ahmedabad to the Statue of Unity, you will come across several dhabas and roadside eatery joints. You can take pit-stops at these places if you want.
The Statue of Unity is located in a secluded place and the connectivity through buses or trains is not that strong. Therefore, it is highly advised to book a car rental from Ahmedabad and drive it yourself. Nevertheless, before you start your journey, the things to know about the Statue of Unity that you must explore are:
Things to know about the “Statue of Unity”
- The Statue of Unity is the tallest statue in the entire world. The height of the statue is 597 feet which is twice the height of the Statue of Liberty.
- The name of the person who designed this tall statue is Ram Vanji Sutar.
- The statue is located on the river island called Sadhu Bet and overlooks the Narmada Dam downstream of the Narmada River.
- The time taken to build this statue is 33 months, which is a record in itself.
- The ticket prices for the adults are INR 120 and INR 30 for bus charges. For observation deck view, the adults have to pay INR 350 and INR 30 as bus charges. For children between 3 years and 15 years, the ticket prices are INR 60 and INR 30 as bus charges. And for observation deck view, the prices are INR 200 and INR 30 as bus charges. For children below 3 years of age, entry is free.
- You cannot take backpacks and snacks inside the premises of the Statue of Unity. Only purses and small bags are allowed.
- You must visit the Statue of Liberty between Tuesday and Sunday as on Mondays the premises remain closed. The place remains open between 8 am and 6 pm. The timing of the light show is from 7 pm to 8 pm on all days except Mondays.
- The best time to visit the Statue of Unity is during the winter season between November and February due to the pleasant weather.
Other things to know about the Statue of Unity and its premises:
Statue of Unity Museum & Gallery
The museum and the gallery is the place where you can find several pictures and short documentaries on the contribution of Sardar Patel to the freedom of India. The area is airy and spacious; therefore, you do not have to be bothered about being in a crowded place.
Restaurants near the Statue of Unity
There are quite many restaurants near the Statue of Unity where you will get a wide variety of cuisines and snacks. However, if you want to eat within the premises, you can even visit the cafeteria to eat a sumptuous meal. The sitting area in the cafeteria is huge; therefore, you will not have any difficulty in finding a comfortable seat there.
The nearby attractions that you can take a tour of:
- Valley of Flowers
- Sardar Sarovar Dam Viewpoint
- Jungle Safari
- Panchmuli Lake
- Cactus Garden and Butterfly Garden
- Zarwani Waterfall
1. Valley of Flowers
Located close to the Statue of Unity, the Valley of Flowers is one of the attractions that is frequented by almost all tourists who visit this huge statue. The garden well-maintained and you can find indigenous flowers here. The sight of the garden with wide varieties of flowers will woo your soul.
2. Sardar Sarovar Dam Viewpoint
Taking a short drive you can reach the famous Sardar Sarovar Dam. Once you are here, you can see the dam gates from a closer distance. To see the dam gates open and the beauty of this place, you must visit Sardar Sarovar Dam during the monsoon season.
3. Jungle Safari
Jungle Safari is another attraction near the Statue of Unity where you can go to witness the wide species of wild animals in their natural habitat. There is also a zoo outside where you can find some animals.
4. Panchmuli Lake
You can visit Panchmuli Lake to enjoy the view of the pristine water and Vindhya mountain range. Do not go too near the lake as it is said it is the house of around 200 crocodiles.
5. Cactus Garden and Butterfly Garden
You will come across more than 500 species of cactus in this garden. You can even take some of these, home. At the same premises, you can also visit Butterfly Garden to find over more than 28 species of butterflies.
6. Zarwani Waterfall
Zarwani Waterfall is located on the premises of Shulpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary and is one of the most beautiful places you can visit near the Statue of Unity. To reach the waterfall, you would need to walk through the water.
To reach all these places, you can choose a self-drive car rental service from Revv. Within just a few days of booking the car, it will be delivered to your home and you can start your trip as soon as you get it. Install the Revv app on your phone today or visit the website to book the car that is apt for the trip.