The fast paced life in Mumbai can sometimes get really cumbersome and complex. While we work hard day and night to chase our dreams, we fall short of time and end up welcoming a lot of stress. If you are also one among them who have been longing for one day trip outside Mumbai, then this list of destinations will certainly bring a smile on your face. Go ahead and take a break from the demands of the life; even if just for a day.
15 Top destinations around Mumbai for short trips
- Elephanta Caves
- Rajmachi Fort
- Malshej Ghat
Alibaug is one of the best places for one day trip near Mumbai. Apart from the serene beaches, you can also visit the Alibaug Fort, Kolaba Fort, Murud-Janjira Fort, and Kanakeshwar Temple. If you want to add some thrill to the trip, you can try parasailing in Alibaug.
- Distance from Mumbai: 95 km
- Things to do: Scuba Diving, Water Sports, Boat Riding, Beach Camping, Parasailing, Banana Boat Rideing, Jet Ski Ride
2. Elephanta Caves
Guess what? You don’t need to drive a car, but instead take a ferry ride from the Gateway of India. This is a UNESCO heritage site that dates back to the 5th-7th centuries. All the caves here have rock cut stone sculptures. Visiting Elephanta Caves will give you a glimpse of our rich history.
- Distance from Mumbai: 25 km
- Things to do: Exploring the caves, Shopping junk jewellery, carved marble statues, stones, and paintings, Visit to Shiv temple
Are your eyes tired of continuously staring at the screen? Plan a day trip to Karjat. This is one of the places for one day trip near Mumbai which you will not regret visiting. The verdant capped mountains look so velvety that it will be a treat to your eyes. Trekking lovers can explore the destination and trek till their heart’s content.
- Distance from Mumbai: 63 km
- Things to do: Kondana Caves, Peth Fort, Trekking in Karjat, Kothligad Trek, Shopping in karjat, Bhivgad trek, Visiting to the Waterfalls
It is a secluded beach where you can go for camping with friends. If you are going in summers, you will be able to take tents on rent. You must try the local snacks available at this beach for a truly unique experience.
- Distance from Mumbai: 40 km
- Things to do: Kanheri Caves, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, East Indian Museum, EsselWorld, Aksa Beach
When you choose Karnala, you can either go for bird watching at the sanctuary or opt for trekking to Karnala fort or even mix both. This destination is very close to Mumbai and you can reach there in an hour or two.
- Distance from Mumbai: 45 km
- Things to do: Durshet lake, Karnala bird sentury, Karala fort visit, Camping, etc.
Connected through the Western Railways, Vasai is among the one day trip places near Mumbai, which has been a spot for various Bollywood shooting. This destination is simply the perfect spot if you are planning the outing with your family. The entire family can relax and spend some quality time together at this place.
- Distance from Mumbai: 61 km
- Things to do: Visiting to the Vasai Fort, Dattani Mall, etc.
The romantic weather of Lonavala is just the right place for one day trip near Mumbai for couples. You can visit the Bhushi Dam, wax museum, and try some adventure sports, provided you have time.
- Distance from Mumbai: 83 km
- Things to do: Bhushi Dam, Wax museum, etc.
Located at a distance of four to five hours by road, Durshet is perfect destination for you if you are looking for some adventure like trekking. The trails are not at all difficult here and even if you are novice, you can give trekking a try at Durshet. You will also be able to spot various flora and fauna alongside the Amba River here.
- Distance from Mumbai: 89 km
- Things to do: Trekking on Durshet hills, Imagicaa Wounder & Water Park, Trekking on Mrugagad, Umberkhind (Chhavani)
One of the most sought after places for 1 day trip near Mumbai, Matheran is a hill station free of automobiles. You can roam around the hillstation on foot and witness number of lookout points as well as unique rock formations. You can also try rappelling, rock climbing, and horse riding through the mud-spattered slopes.
- Distance from Mumbai: 90 km
- Things to do: Alexander Point Matheran hill & valley views, Visit to Louisa Point, Heart Point in Matheran, Historic Hills Railway Station in Matheran, Charlotte Lake, Garbett Point, etc.
10. Rajmachi Fort
If you are prepared to take a four hours long trek, then Rajmachi Fort is the apt option for you. An absolute one day road trip near Mumbai, you will also find some old ruined doors and stone structures at this fort. Don’t forget to click some selfies!
- Distance from Mumbai: 95 km
- Things to do: Pawna Lake Camping, Picnic at Bhushi Lake, Trekking to Rajmachi Fort, Paragliding in Kamshet, Explore Bhaja Caves, etc.
11. Malshej Ghat
Filled with tranquility, Malshej Ghat offers scenic beauty that we might have only experienced in story books. The hills and waterfalls will make you fall for this destination. While you are here, you can also visit Pimpalgaon Joga Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of birds.
- Distance from Mumbai: 140 km
- Things to do: Trekking on Hills at Malshej Ghat, Watching Waterfalls, etc.
There must be hardly anyone who has not heard about Nashik. A popular destination for one day trip near Mumbai in summer, Nashik is known for its vineyards and Pandavleni Caves. Even if you are not fond of wine, a little tasting will not do any harm. For some fun activity, you can try grape crushing. If you have time, you can take tour of Pandavleni caves and several churches and temples here.
- Distance from Mumbai: 165 km
- Things To Do: Shopping in Sadar Bazar, Visiting in Trimbakeshwar Temple, Take a tour at Sula Vineyards, Enjoy at Dudhsagar Falls, Trekking on Brahmagiri Hill, etc.
To reach Daman in few hours, travel by train. From camel and horse rides alongside the beaches to boating, you can try many things. You must also try the mouth-watering seafood delicacies available in Daman.
- Distance from Mumbai: 170 km
- Things to do:
If you have interest in history, you will undoubtedly like the option of Raigad. Erstwhile the capital of the Maratha King, Shivaji, Raigad offers you attraction like 17th century Raigad fort. This fort is situated at an elevation of 2700 feet above sea level on the Sahyadri Mountains. Therefore, to reach the fort, you either have to climb 1,737 stairs or take the cable car that will take you directly to the fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 103 km
- Things to do: Visit the Raigad fort, Elphinstone Point, Bird sanctuary around the Karnala Fort, Water Sports & Camel Rides on Alibag Beach, etc.
If peace and a relaxing weekend are all that you are looking for, then head to the tiny town of Palghar. This thinly populated place will help you revitalize and start the upcoming week with a fresh mind.
- Distance from Mumbai: 109 km
- Things to do: Hot Springs in Hot Springs, Beach walking, Biking, Vasai Fort Heritage Experience
Despite being a bustling city, it is not difficult to take one day trip outside Mumbai. There are many options to wind down and create magical memories with your loved ones or even on a solo vacation. With Revv Cars you can make this vacation fantastic and memorable with your family. Revv self-drive car rental gives you the freedom on your trips, all Revv cars are fully sanitized and insured so that you can roam around without hassles.